Monday 13 July 2009

Nick gets Militant on Flyering

Tuesday the 28 April saw the return of bigboy a.k.a Dangerous Dave, basically a climbing nut (check out Mountain Vision) and life long friend. Me and dave are competitive about everything...and drinking certainly ranks as one of the events. I'd got geared up for his return and he'd spent a winter on the source in Saa Fee, Switzerland. However I'd not taken into account that Dave, Loz (ex-Para. PTI and my room mate in Belgium Monestry) + Laura (New Zealand Ski Instructor, along for the ride) had already been on a three day bender across four countries! I put in complete over kill in the way that I always do and ensured I finished the job that 1,000 miles and hundreds of units had already started. 'Turbo Vintos' in the Commercial Rooms followed by being last out of Tinbuk 2 (info on club) as enough to see them off!
Saturday saw the first beneficial flyering expo. (Flyering missions) I set out for The Downs (big park in Bristol - stupid name really cos they're 'Ups'). My tactic was to leave sample book with groups of people and then walk off to another group....created immediate rapport through trust and gave punters time to look and have some meaningful feed back on the book by the time I'd returned. It was all very civil, the sun was out and it was like a BBQ book club every 50 meters or so...that was until I met UWE Womens football team...just back from Cardiff still going on all night all day bender. I was soon in hot water! I commented on the fact that even though they were getting stick from some Downs League mens team for drunkenly invading the pitch that the guy would surely forgive attractive young ladies.
The retort from one of the girls was "yeah, they'd be lucky...we don't do boyz!"
I said "I see, marvelously nether do I"
I should have known! The Meakes (Rover Football Legend) kept clear of Women footballers! In me and the girls where batting for the same side..great! Again rapport with the customer but no sale!
After flyering caught up with some friend at a near-by pub (The Kings Arms on Black Boy Hill, Bristol). Was DJ Joffs and Doorman Magzy joint-bday...the drinks were following and I soon was told a new game (At The Races) and had made my first sale of the day (you can always count on friends!) (see Flyering missions)
Sunday afternoon I headed to UWE's international standard hockey pitch to see Birmingham University Ladies Hockey team take on Durham for a chance to be promoted into Hockey National 1st ...I was in hostile territory @UWE having created some what off a scene at UWE bus stop last Oct when the book was released (CAN I HAVE EVERYONES ATTENTION RIGHT NOW! - shouted from the top of a bin Oct 2008 @UWE as my ex-girlfriend looked on shaking her head!). I had been chased from campus for blatant marketing. Now I was back! Did they know about my recent facebook ad. which had gone out to all UWE students saying "The book your SU (student Union) didn't want you to see"????. I kept a reasonably low profile giving a free copy of The Lash to Laura Bainbridge of the 1st team and University Sport Birmingham key Player....(my thanks also to Philly and Joey how invited me down) + well done to the girls as they won and got promoted!!

Next time Nick does a 15 Hour Spin for Charity, flyers UWE Varsity (meets UWE Women's footy again!), Flyers Propaganda @ Syndicate, all in the run up to a legendary night at The Hill on Sunday 10th May...was it worth it after all?!?
The video will be up on 'cabonca' on Utube soon peeps!

No comments:

Post a Comment